Grass Valley have released EDIUS 9.1, which adds the ability to export H.265 video to EDIUS 9, although only on systems using Skylake, Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake processors, using Quick Sync. The H.265 encoding does not work on other processors at all.
H.265 is like H.264, which we have been using for years, but you can compress it more, making it better for uploading and playing across networks. EDIUS 8 can playback H.265 video (as long as you are using one of the later versions) Now EDIUS 9 can make it as well.
This encoding uses the Intel Quick Sync hardware with an hour’s 4K UHD clip taking me about 1½ hours on my Coffee Lake system. If you have a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake processor you can do 10 bit H.265, and a Skylake can do 8 bit.
To install the update you must first uninstall the version of EDIUS 9 that you have on your system – you cannot simply install over the top. You do not need to deactivate – which is the first thing the computer will ask you when you press the uninstall button in “programs and features”. Leave it activated just uninstall and then reinstall with the new file you will download from Grass Valley.
The following is a list of the new features of EDIUS 9.1:
New Features of Version 9.10.3086 EDIUS
- Support AVC Proxy clip recorded by XAVC equipment
- Support to display progress of certain process (timeline rendering, file export, batch export) on EDIUS icon
- Support to export H.265 (HEVC) clip on Intel 6th or 7th Generation Core i processor based system using Intel Quick Sync Video
Note: for the 6th generation only 8 bit out is supported because of the hardware design. From the 7th generation and up 10 bit is also supported.
- Support Author metadata in JPEG clip
- Support to create a sub clip on Storyboard
- Support “Lens Model” information in still clip shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark II
- Preserve original “Date taken” for snapshot
- Support keyboard shortcut to add/remove tag
- Support simultaneous preview for multiple still image
You can download EDIUS 9.1 from the Grass Valley support site: https://www.grassvalley.com/support/downloads/